When we first built Intervals we desperately needed a better way of getting organized, managing our work, and tracking our time. As Intervals evolved we realized that there was a lot more value created by tracking time and completing tasks. Yes, it helped us get organized, but it also provided us a wealth of information about our business.
Since January is just a week away, it is time for us to start taking a serious look at our efforts for 2006. With just a few clicks we know:
– our average hourly billable rate for the year
– what types of work we worked on
– which employees were most billable
– our biggest clients for the year
– our yearly trend that graphically shows how the year unfolded
– our biggest internal projects (personal development projects and IT always dominate our unbillable time…which is exactly what we want to be doing as a small innovative business)
We take all of this information and put it together in an annual summary report that serves as our officially review of the year. We use this information for a birds eye view of our efforts here at Pelago and use that information for bonuses, staffing decisions and goals for the next year.
The entire report takes less than an hour to put together.