Not signed in (Sign In)
The Intervals Forum is read-only
Please head to help.myintervals.com for help articles and guides. If you have any questions, please contact our support team.

Ways to use Intervals

Why have multiple running timers if I can't physically do more than one thing at a time?

Bottom of Page

1 to 5 of 5

That's a good question. It makes sense that if a person can only do one thing at a time, then there should only be one timer running at any given moment. The reason for having simultaneous timers is that we are often tracking more than just people. We use timers to track parallel processes. In other words, multiple timers let us track our time spent multi-tasking.

For example, I might start a sync script running and want to know how long it ran. While it's running, i'll knock out a few other tasks. I need to run a timer for each of those tasks, in addition to the timer already tracking the sync script.

In our digital age, we are accustomed to automated tasks that do parts of our job for us. Allowing multiple simultaneous timers enables us to track each of these side tasks.

I can also swap from one to the other and pause accordingly
    I also multi-task and be uploading/downloading information for a client while writing and email for another. I can also be in a meeting where my input or attention is not really needed and be doing another task.
    I love having multiple timers, as do my artists. Sometimes we switch from task to task very quickly, or without having finished the first task. Rather than record the time for the first task and then have to start another time and record it again later, pausing the timer on Task 1 while you start and finish Task 2 allows you to go back to Task 1 without worrying about filling in the details until the task is properly finished. The little note tags you can add to a time make this even better, since then you're less likely to forget what you were doing.
    I use mutliple timers to be able to reconcile my timesheets. I have a "Time Auditor" Task, Module and Work Type. When I start my day I kick off the Time Auditor timer and the timer for whatever task I'm actually working on. When I go to lunch or if I have to head out, I pause the time auditor along with whatever else was running and then restart it when I get back. At the end of the day I apply the time auditor time as unbillable time. I can then compare the the unbillable time against the billable time and see if I stuffed anything up. Noice!

Comments are closed.
For more Intervals help documentation, please visit help.myintervals.com