With our “task tracker” (the proving grounds for Intervals) we learned a lot about tracking time. We learned that:
- If you make it difficult to track time…people won’t track time
- If you track time in “general” ways…you don’t learn too much about what is really going on
- We’ve learned that tracking time on tasks gives you the best information. It can empower client meetings or future bids that are similar to the current project you are working on
- Even the most diligent people at tracking time need to reminded about it
- Tracking unbillable time in addition to billable time gets people in the habit of tracking time and can give you all kinds of valuable information about internal projects
Not the most exciting whiteboard shot here :-). The add time window.